WasteCap DIY: Window Chalkboard
This DIY chalkboard project is just another way to reuse an old window. Let it function as a daily to-do list or use it as decoration to write inspiring quotes.
You'll need the following materials to complete the project:
- An old window
- Scotch tape
- 1 can of blackboard paint
- Chalk paint pens
- A magic eraser
The Step by Step:
- First, clean off your window to remove all dust, dirt and loose paint for a smooth surface. If it's an old window, you may need to use a razor to get loose paint spots off the glass.
- Second, you'll want to cover the edges of your window with Scotch tape and newspaper. Line the border of the window with the tape. Then, cover any wood that may still be exposed with the newspaper, and hold into place by wedging under tape. This is to protect the window frame from blackboard paint.
- Next, you are ready to apply the blackboard paint. Hold the can 10 - 12" away from surface and begin to spray in a steady back-and-forth motion. Keep the can the same distance from the surface, and always keep the can in motion while spraying. Apply 2 - 3 light coats, a few minutes apart. The paint will dry to touch after 20 minutes and will be ready to handle after one hour.
- After one hour repeat step 3 to add a second coat. The board will be fully dry after 24 hours.
- Finally, you are ready to write on your chalkboard. For the cleanest look, we recommend using chalkboard paint pens. They don't smudge and can be erased using a magic eraser.
Click here for printable directions so you can begin your chalkboard today!
Rachael will continue to join us throughout the year for more DIY projects. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest to stay up-to-date with the latest DIYs.
Wednesday - Friday: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Saturday: 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
2123 W. Michigan Street, Suite 100
Milwaukee, WI. 53233
back to blog
Welcome to the WasteCap Blog
Every week we'll share updates on our latest projects, tips & tricks on recycling, a spotlight on our favorite materials for sale, and more.
Make a Donation to WasteCap