WasteCap DIY: Window Garden Box
Hang this planter made from a reclaimed window and wood on your fence or house to liven up your outdoor space! It’s easy to make and you can use it for flowers, herbs or salad greens.
You'll need the following materials and tools to complete the project:
- 1-24in Window Sash
- 8ft of 1x6 board (4 times the length of the
- 2ft of 2x4 Board (as long as the window is wide)
- 3” Screws (4)
- 2” Screws (24)
- 2 Eye Hooks (¼“ or bigger)
- ⅛“ Drill Bit
- ¼“ Drill Bit (or appropriate size for eye hooks)
- Safety Goggles
- Ear Protection
- Carpenter’s Square
- Cut three boards for the front, back
and bottom. First measure the width
of your window. Cut three boards to that
length from the 1x6.
- Now cut the two sides. Measure and
cut two pieces 8½“ long out of the
- Assemble the planter box. Using 4 screws
each, pre-drill ⅛“ holes and screw the front
and back to the bottom so that the bottom
edge is covered. Next, align one of the sides
to be flush with the front and extending past
the back. Attach the side using 2 screws into
the bottom and one into the front and back.
Repeat for the other side.
- Then attach the 2x4 to the bottom of
the window. Pre-drill down through the
bottom of the window into the edge of the 2x4
and attach with the 4 long screws.
- Attach the box to the window. The extended
sides of the box should fit right over the ends
of the 2x4. Use 4 screws through the back of
the planter and two from each end into the 2x4.
- Hang your planter box. Using the larger bit,
drill a pilot hole on both edges of the window
about 3” from the top. Screw the eye hooks
into these holes. Tie the twine to the eye
hooks to hang the planter as you would a
frame. Another option is to attach it directly
to your fence/building (as seen in the photo)
- Finally, fill it with soil, and plant away!
* Some older windows may have lead based paint on them. Be sure to seal that in with a new coat of paint to prevent any contamination of your edible plants.
Rachael will be joining us throughout the summer for more DIY projects, so be sure to follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest to stay up-to-date with our latest projects.
Click here for printable directions so you can begin your kneeling garden bench today.
Wednesday - Friday 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Saturday 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
2123 W. Michigan Street, Suite 100
Milwaukee, WI. 53233
back to blog
Welcome to the WasteCap Blog
Every week we'll share updates on our latest projects, tips & tricks on recycling, a spotlight on our favorite materials for sale, and more.
Make a Donation to WasteCap