WasteCap is Now Hiring an AmeriCorps Volunteer Coordinator!
AmeriCorps, often referred to as a domestic Peace Corps, places individuals within communities to commit a year to serving others. Marshfield Clinic Center for Community Outreach is a national service grantee. Marshfield Clinic Volunteer Wisconsin AmeriCorps places individuals with nonprofits across Wisconsin.
Marshfield Clinic AmeriCorps Volunteer Wisconsin Program
This program places individuals with nonprofit organizations across Wisconsin to build and strengthen volunteer programs. Individuals will receive focused training in volunteer management then assist with such tasks as: recruiting, training and supervising volunteers; creating volunteer handbooks, application forms, and brochures; writing position descriptions; updating website content and coordinating social media; and other (non-volunteer) tasks specific to the mission of the nonprofit.
Volunteer Coordinator - Position Description:
The member should expect to effectively coordinate and engage volunteers. During a typical day of service at WasteCap Resource Solutions, the member may complete the following tasks:
- Research, develop, and manage volunteer programs with a particular focus on retail support, building material salvaging, and organizational needs.
- Recruit, schedule, train, and supervise a weekly volunteer workforce.
- Track volunteer hours and craft newsworthy volunteer reports.
- Attend local volunteer recruitment fairs on behalf of WasteCap Resource Solutions
- Assist the marketing and development department with volunteer support.
- The member may also have to assist volunteers in performing critical tasks that may include:
- Operate WasteCap inventory and point-of-sale system and train volunteers.
- Assist customers with locating items and answering questions. (Training volunteers to do the same).
- Help customers by loading/unloading vehicles and operating cash register
- Prepare new merchandise for sale (including cleaning floor and materials)
- Support weekend volunteer activities and events
- Aid with receiving material donations
- Observe retail warehouse store safety protocols
Period of Service:
Monday, September 11, 2017 – August 31, 2018. (End date is negotiable)
- $485.77 (gross before taxes) bi-weekly payroll for term of service
- Health insurance – option to enroll with premium paid in full for member only
- Childcare assistance (if qualified)
- $5,815 education award upon successful completion of the term of service
- Forbearance on qualified student loans and interest accrual payments while serving. (taxable)
- Service gear
- Work Experience and the development of highly sought job skills (initiative, interpersonal and intercultural communication, adaptability, collaboration and accountability)
- Networking for career placement at all levels of the organization served, with partner organizations and throughout the community
- Build value – in yourself and the position you serve. Organizations often hire members after their term of service because they know what they’ve invested in the member and what they will be receiving.
Required Orientation & Training (expenses covered):
- September 11 - 14, 2017
- January 3-5, 2017
What does it mean to serve?
Applicants must be willing to serve for the duration of the term of service (1700 hours minimum), averaging approximately 35-40 hours a week. Members must also be able to handle the financial commitment made by accepting the position. Applicants must be 19 years of age by September 11, 2017, possess a high school diploma or GED/HSED, and agree to and pass a criminal and Department of Motor Vehicles background checks.
Special Considerations Regarding Physical Activity
- Moderate physical activity: frequent walking/standing/lifting/carrying up to 50 pounds; some repetitive motion
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (comfortable addressing & training groups of people.
- Excellent ability to organize work to establish and meet deadlines
- Computer proficiency including word processing, excel, and email
- Demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands, solve problems, contribute to and work as part of a team.
- Must be able and willing to work weekend retail warehouse store shifts.
How do I apply?
To apply, please send a resume to:
Warehouse Manager, WasteCap Resource Solutions
2123 W Michigan St. Suite 100 Milwaukee, WI 53233